Wikis are pretty cool. Can't think of much to use with my athletes except forming an itinerary for out of town/overnight trips. With my coaches I'm thinking that practice organization would be great. They could add to a list of drills that could help improve a certain skill that we are lacking in. They could help me build a better practice when we aren't all together in the office. I wouldn't want to put our offenses or defenses on there cause everyone could look at them, yes?
I had the opportunity to use a wiki while on vacation and didn't even know it...I needed to look up a certain highway that I'd never traveled on. I googled it and the site I picked happened to be a highway wiki. It had lots of information on the highway such as how many lanes, speed limits, what towns it passed through, and road construction alerts. The latest post was almost a year old so I wasn't sure about the accuracy as it stated road construction for 9 miles. It was accurate although the construction was at a standstill. I would've added that fact to the wiki but my signal was minimal so I was unable to.
I use wikipedia quite a bit but never knew what the "wiki" part meant! And now I know! I really enjoyed Thing 6.
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Using a wiki to coordinate with staff members is definitely a great use for wikis. It's a wonderful way to share schedules, resources, documents, and plans. Actually, depending on which wiki service you use, you may have control over settings which can protect the wiki and grant access to only the users you choose. You also have the choice of making the wiki public but controlling who can edit or contribute to it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool story about the highway wiki! I love when I find wikis that are maintained for such random but useful purposes! I think it's really great for kids to see examples like that, too!
Great job--Thing 6 complete!
Oops! Just noticed--Wikis are Thing 5, not Thing 6! So, Thing 5 is complete; Thing 6 is yet to come! (Sorry for the confusion.) ;)
ReplyDelete